Hugh's Views

This is a purely self-indulgent blog in which I can, if I feel like so doing, comment on matters of public and private import.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Director of a publishing company. Two children, one stepchild. Happily married. I certainly don't believe in the star sign/year of the dragon nonesense that Blogger has attributed to me.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Girl with a Pearl Earring

I am about one third of the way through this fascinating novel. Written by Tracy Chevalier, it tells the story behind one of Vermeer's famous portraits - Girl with a pearl earring. The account is fictional as we have no knowledge of who the girl was or why Vermeer painted her. At this point, I cannot tell where the narrative is going, but the story is a beautifully crafted account of life in Delft in the 17th century and of the relationship between a master painter and his maid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hugh M said...

Thank you for your comment, Argee. And, yes, I do have A/S.

8:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home