Hugh's Views

This is a purely self-indulgent blog in which I can, if I feel like so doing, comment on matters of public and private import.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Director of a publishing company. Two children, one stepchild. Happily married. I certainly don't believe in the star sign/year of the dragon nonesense that Blogger has attributed to me.

Friday, January 14, 2005

Huygens down!

The BBC is reporting that the European Space Agency probe Huygens is on the surface of Titan. This is one of the most exciting moments in space research in my life. I can't wait to hear some results and am desperately hoping we don't have a repeat of the Beagle disaster.

BBC coverage

And, from CNN:

Grinning scientists watching from the ESA operations center in Germany said the first obstacle -- a tricky atmospheric entry -- had been a great engineering feat. Time will tell if all of Huygens' precious data will reach their destination.
"So far so good," said David Southwood, director of science for ESA. "The signal has been solid for a long time."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home