Hugh's Views

This is a purely self-indulgent blog in which I can, if I feel like so doing, comment on matters of public and private import.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Suffolk, United Kingdom

Director of a publishing company. Two children, one stepchild. Happily married. I certainly don't believe in the star sign/year of the dragon nonesense that Blogger has attributed to me.

Sunday, December 05, 2004

Blunkett and Quinn

The papers are once again full of the Blunkett-Quinn affair and the Tories are now baying for his blood: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4069923.stm

It seems to me that one aspect of this case, though mentioned, has been understated and that is the Home Secretary's state of mind. The reactions of both parties demonstrate clearly that this is an affair that has generated huge passions. In these circumstances love and hate merge into a maelstrom of emotion that takes years to calm down. I know from turmoil in my own life in the past that these matters tend to occupy 80% of the mind and that other functions are carried out more or less on autopilot. I also know that judgements that seem objective and sound at the time are subsequently seen to have been severely affected by the chaos within.

To me, the issue is not whether the Home Secretary has abused his power. He may or may not have done so. The greater issue is whether he is mentally competent to carry out his vital duties when he is bound to be in an extremely emotional state. Personally, I don't believe any man could face the personal issues that he is facing without letting his emotions affect his daily conduct. I am therefore in no doubt that he should step down and focus on his personal life. My guess is that it will be at least two years before he has any idea how much of what he thinks today is his head talking, and how much is his heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home